Welcome to Salem Elementary HSA
Happening at Salem
INNISBROOK'S SCHOOL SUPPLY SALE - June 9th - August 1st
For the upcoming school year we are again offering the opportunity to order school supplies through Innisbrook! This service saves you time and simplifies your shopping by eliminating the hassles and crowds typically associated with Back-to-School shopping. Each grade's kit comes prepackaged with the specific supplies on that grade level's common supply list. Note that there may be additional supplies required by your child's teacher. Supplies will be available to pick-up at school on Tuesday, 9/2 or on the first day of school, 9/3.
2 Ways to Order!
1) Credit Card Order: (Orders must be placed by Aug.1st)
2) Paying Via Check or Cash: (Orders must be received by June 27th)
Questions? Please contact: Brittney Hegarty at 516-365-2499 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Innisbrook Customer Service 1-800-334-8461.
HSA FUNDING PROJECTS: At last Friday's HSA meeting, we announced three projects that the HSA Executive Board recently voted on to financially support for next year:
1) Hydration Filtration System: The HSA will fully fund the installation of two Brita Hydration stations at Salem. This will provide students a convenient, sustainable alternative to bottled water, filling up reusable containers with great-tasting, cold, filtered water.
2) WeatherBug Station: The WeatherBug Schools Program involves the implementation of a scientific-grade weather monitoring system that's built to withstand all kinds of environmental conditions! It collects a unique combination of live weather data, which teachers can incorporate into their curriculums with dynamic graphics, and create lesson plans that teach to education standards with web-based instruction. The Port Washington Education Foundation partially funded Salem's Compact Committee's grant for a "WeatherBug Station." The Salem HSA has agreed to fund half of the total cost.
3) Dancing Classrooms: The HSA agreed to fund half of this program for next year's 5th grade. This is a 10 week program during the fall, where 5th grade students participate for 40 minutes 2 times per week to learn different dance routines. Their experience is curriculum integrated, as students complete writing assignments and other projects on the dances they learn. The program aims to "foster respect, teamwork, confidence and a sense of joy and accomplishment for every child." We are happy to help continue this program for next year.
($3,550) - http://dancingclassroomsli.org
BIRTHDAY BOOK DONATIONS: If your child's birthday is during the remainder of June, July or August and you would like to donate a book to the Salem library in honor of your child's birthday, please hold onto the book for September 2014. In September, the HSA Friends of the Library will happily post you child's photo on the Birthday Bulletin Board located in the cafeteria. If you want to shop over the summer, the library's current wish list is available on the Salem website.
SUMMER READING LIST: The Summer Reading list is located on the South Salem Virtual Website and District website. Please join in the enjoyment of reading and stop by Port Washington Public Library and select a book for some summer leisure fun. There are activities for all students. If you have any questions in helping your child with reading levels, please contact Mrs. Koukoulas.
LOST & FOUND LAST CHANCE! When you are in the school for end of year activities this month, please check the lost and found bin in the cafeteria. It is overflowing again, and we will be donating the contents to the Salvation Army during the last week of school.
LAST CALL FOR BOX TOPS AND CAMPBELLS LABELS! Help Salem earn Bonus Points! For every 10 Labels for Education turned before the end of the school year, you will earn a Panera Bread Cookie certificate. Please send them in to school with you child and label with name and teacher to receive your award. And don't forget to submit any box-tops too, especially if they are about to expire!
Salem Spirit Outreach Last Day 6/16
Please support our last Salem Spirit Outreach event of the 2013-2014 school year! We will be collecting school supplies to benefit the Our Lady of Fatima Outreach program.
We have been asked to collect ONLY the following items:
* Composition notebooks
Thank you to Dana-Brett Chin who has coordinated every Salem HSA outreach effort this year. Dana, we appreciate your boundless energy and wonderful heart in your devotion with our outreach endeavors this year!
Reviewing the Past and Planning for the Future!
New Date and Location: Tuesday, June 17th at 9:00am at Salem Elementary School
Please join us for AGATE's final meeting of the school year! We will review the past year and make plans for the upcoming year, most importantly discussing future meeting topics and advocacy issues as well as voting on the executive board. All are welcome and encouraged to attend!
MARK YOUR CALENDARS: UPCOMING EVENTS (http://salemhsa.org/): Please note that although we try hard to keep the same dates, the dates on the district calendar may not be correct. For up to date event schedules, please see our website or check the newsletter.
Brought to you by Salem HSA a 501 C3 organization
site by sona hyde designs